Website addresses are subject to change and are at the discretion of the individual site owners and site webmasters. Website addresses will be updated as needed.
1. David Vetter was born in 1971 with severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID), an experiment to keep him alive made him famous. Vetter became known as "The Bubble Boy" after he was placed in a germ-free plastic bubble that he lived in for 12 years. When he died at age 12 after an unsuccessful bone marrow transplant, public awareness of his condition waned. Nearly 10 years later, his story became fodder for pop culture with programs like "Seinfeld" and "The Simpsons" doing their own versions of "The Bubble Boy." Pg 54.
2. Severe Combined Immune Deficiency (SCID, pronounced "skid") is a potentially fatal primary immunodeficiency in which there is combined absence of T-lymphocyte and B-lymphocyte function. There are at least 13 different genetic defects that can cause SCID. These defects lead to extreme susceptibility to very serious infections. This condition is generally considered to be the most serious of the primary immunodeficiencies. Fortunately, effective treatments, such as stem cell transplantation, exist that can cure the disorder. Pg 54.
3. A lymphocyte of a type produced or processed by the thymus gland and actively participating in the immune response. Also called T-cells. Pg 54
The immediate-early protein, ICP0, is essential for the resistance of herpes simplex virus to interferon-alpha/beta. Pg 54.
5. The prevention or treatment of disease with substances that stimulate the immune response. Pg 55.
6. Key facts, herpes simplex virus. Pg 73.
7. Herpes Zoster Involving the Second Division of the Trigeminal Nerve: Case Report and Literature Review. Paquin R, et al. J Endod. 2017. Pg 73
9. Detailed fact sheets are intended for physicians and individuals with specific questions about sexually transmitted diseases. Detailed fact sheets include specific testing and treatment recommendations as well as citations so the reader can research the topic more in depth.
11. Human Cytomegalovirus (HCMV) – Revised*
Dr. Volkmar Schottstedt, Dr. Johannes Blümel, Prof. Dr. Reinhard Burger, Prof. Dr. Christian Drosten, Dr. Albrecht Gröner, Prof. Dr. Lutz Gürtler, Dr. Margarethe Heiden, Prof. Dr. Martin Hildebrandt, Prof. Dr. Dr. Bernd Jansen, Dr. Thomas Montag-Lessing, Dr. Ruth Offergeld, Prof. Dr.
12. The editorial, signed by 31 scientists around the world, argues that in certain vulnerable individuals—such as those with the APOE ε4 gene variant, a known Alzheimer’s risk factor—common microbial infections can infect the aging brain and cause debilitating damage. These microbes may include herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV-1), the ubiquitous virus that causes cold sores as well as Chlamydophila pneumoniae and Borrelia burgdorferi, the bacteria that cause pneumonia and Lyme disease, respectively. Pg 76.
13. Oct. 1, 2008 -- More than half a billion people are infected with the herpes simplex virus type 2, the virus that causes most cases of genital herpes and nearly 24 million new cases happen per year. That's according to the first global estimate of the prevalence (total number of cases) and incidence (number of new cases) of herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) infection. Pg 76.
14. Source, Oxford Dictionary. Pg 81.
15. Source, Brene' Brown, PhD. LMSW is a research professor at the University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work. She has spent the past decade studying shame. Pg 81. https://brenebrown.com/
16. Key facts. Herpes simplex virus. Pg 82
17. Source, Oxford Dictionary. Pg 85.
18. Source, Oxford Dictionary. Pg 87
19. . https://liveherpesvaccine.com/2013/06/15/why-we-dont-have-an-effective-hsv-2-vaccine-yet/ Pg 97. *If hyper link not working, please refer to RationalVaccines.com
23. https://liveherpesvaccine.com/2016/06/11/the-downside-of-daily-antiviral-therapy/ pg 101. *If hyper link not working, please refer to https://askingforafriend.us/blog/f/the-downside-of-daily-antiviral-therapy or www.RationalVaccines.com
26. https://www.cdc.gov/std/herpes/screening.htm Pg 104.
29. Zosteriform Pg 150
* Website is in the process of being re-built.